Thursday 22 March 2012

There Are Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing…

..but just one Penny Farthing outside my school

DSCF3457

Yesterday, Tom was getting his bike ready for a ride when I got to school at 8am [this is not Tom, it is his friend]. He kindly let me take some pictures. Look at the rose detail just below the handlebars

DSCF3460

The bike was made in the Czech Republic – and Tom requested  cream paintwork – he wanted to make it a 21st Century bike, not a black Victorian model! He mischievously rested the bike next to the Village Pump. The sign has been there a couple of days!

DSCF3459

I think I preferred the previous finish to the pump’s paintwork! Fresh as paint, but it still won’t dispense water – although I notice that the top has been replaced since I photographed it last week.

DSCF3458DSCF3340

Thank you Mr Pickering for letting me photograph your wondrous velocipede! It is a delightful machine, but I would still rather ride pillion on the Honda!

edit – Friday 23rd March – noticed this morning that the whole pump, including replaced dome on top, has been painted green and gold as before. Tuesday’s painting was obviously just the undercoat!

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking you would be wise to wear protective head gear on the penny farthing..and perhaps a bit of body armour wouldn't go amiss!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the painter is coming back later to do the gold bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that velocipede and the old pump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too prefer the old paint job.

    How in the world did people ever get down from those bicycles, short of falling over sideways?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!